Thursday, October 14, 2010

Re: Reading "Thinking And Destiny"

Percival was an early influence on me when I lived in the Hindu
sections of the Cornell stacks.

I never really read the full book, but I got enough out of it
to know something was up. Most of these people when their minds open up
spill the beans on trillions of years of who knows whose memory, so
take it all with a grain of salt.

Something way simpler was 'Masters and the Path', now THAT was trip,
very short, beautiful artwork, and amazing descriptions of what
happens when a master gets an apprehentice in his hands.

I think the author was C. W. Leadbeater, who along with
Annie Besant and Blavatski were leaders in the theosophy movement.

There was also a book called Journey through to Space, by a guy
who exteriorized and couldn't handle power line emmissions. It was
a very real description of his experiences.

The classic was Olaf Stapleton's Starmaker, again a description
of his sitting on the wrong hill at the wrong time, and blowing out
into the higher cosmos. I took umbrage at his assertions of hells
forever for some people, but beyond that it really got me oriented
along this path if only to make him wrong :)

Not expecting you to read any of these, but they are a better
read than Percival.

And if you are into a super beautiful movie 'What dreams may come',
its worth watching, even if its themes are a little too alloyed by common
conceptions of the afterlife. Its an astounding work of videography if
nothing else.

I trust you have seen all the required present time 'life is a
holodeck' stuff like Inception and the endless matrix series.

Homer

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homer Wilson Smith The Paths of Lovers Art Matrix - Lightlink
(607) 277-0959 KC2ITF Cross Internet Access, Ithaca NY
homer@lightlink.com In the Line of Duty http://www.lightlink.com

> Hi Homer.
>
> Warm greetings to you.
>
> I am still digesting your message from a day or two ago;
> I thank you again for its composition and for sending it.
>
> I just wanted to let you know that in the message, you mentioned a
> Percival fellow,
> and I said to myself "Percival who?"... so I Googled "Homer Wilson Smith" and
> "Percival", and found "Harold Waldwin Percival" -- "Thinking And Destiny".
>
> I found an online .pdf version -- I am reading it now.
>
> It's wordy, as I believe you said in one of your posts, but as always,
> I like to "separate the wheat from the chaff", to pan for the gold,
> to mine the gems if you will.
>
> Anyway, it's interesting.
>
> A long time ago I was a FoxPro programmer -- and I had been working
> with FoxPro for a number of years, and I had read practically every FoxPro
> book and publication that I could get my hands on.
>
> There was one book, called "The A-B-C's of FoxPro" in a shelf in one of
> the cubicles at work.
>
> I thought that reading such a book was well, "beneath me"
> (programmer hubris, dontcha know). But one day I decided
> that I would read it, scan it thoroughly against my own knowledge
> for *anything* different.
>
> In doing so, I found that the book, was indeed, a rehash of my own
> knowledge. But then I found one command that I hadn't encountered
> previously.
>
> It was the 'sort' command. Basically, take a table and physically
> order its records to another table.
>
> Now, whenever we needed record ordering in FoxPro, we'd simply
> create an index for the record ordering. And that was usually that.
>
> But, in certain scenarios, and for certain applications (reporting,
> for one, as I recall, and speed optimization, for another), using
> the sort command to produce a physically ordered table -- was
> the *much* more elegant solution.
>
> "Thinking And Destiny" -- seems to contain a much higher
> signal-to-noise ratio than "The A-B-C's of FoxPro". But, I'll
> let you know when I've mined all of the gems out of it.
>
> In the meantime, thank you for the reference to Percival,
> and thank you again for your message.
>
_______________________________________________
Homerwsmith-l mailing list
Homerwsmith-l@mailman.lightlink.com
http://mailman.lightlink.com/mailman/listinfo/homerwsmith-l

No comments:

Post a Comment